Sinhagad Fort is one of the best tourist spot in pune, maharashtra located 4300 feet above sea level, on the Sahyadri Hills. It is a strategic fort, carefully selected for its proximity to the settlement of Pune, allowing control over important trade routes and offering protection behind its safe walls in times of need. Originally called Kondana, it was renamed the Lion Fort in honour of Shivaji’s trusted aide Tanaji Malusare who lost his life in a daring raid on the fort. it has two gates – the Kalyan Darwaza in the south-east and the Pun Darwaza in the north-east.

The drive from Pune to Sinhagad takes about 01 Hour. There is a fairly easy 20 minute climb to the fort from the parking area. There are great views of the hills, rivers and dams from the top of the fort. 
          The summer months (March-June) are too hot to visit Sinhagad, but all other seasons offer great opportunities for a day outdoors. In September-October just after the rains, the hills are carpeted in green, and very scenic. From November through February, the craggy black rock contrasts beautifully with yellow hay and the weather is simply perfect. The monsoon season begins in June, and it is then that the Sahyadris become truly magical, with beautiful waterfalls and lush foliage. Trekkers from Mumbai and Pune head for the Sahyadris to see the hills come alive in the rains.
         Sinhagarh has a long history. It was captured from theKoli tribal chieftain, Nag Naik, by Muhammad bin Tughlaq in 1328 AD. Three centuries later, Chhatrapati shivaji Mahraj wrested it away by bribing the commander, by the Treaty of Purandar (1665 AD) had to cede the fort to the Mughals. Sinhagarh was the scene of one of the most daring exploits in Maratha history when, in 1670 AD, it was recaptured by Shivjaji’s forces under Tanaji Malusare, who laid down his life in the battle. On his death, a saddened Chhatrapati shivaji Mahraj said, “The fort is won, but the lion is gone!” Whereupon the fort got is new name: Sinha (lion) gadha (fort). Finally the British seized the fort from the Peshwas in 1818 AD, destroying its almost all ancient monuments. Only the traditional gates and broken walls remain now.