MYSORE
       Mysore is the second largest city in the state of Karnataka. The city is situated at the base of Chamundi Hills and is famous for the Dussehra celebrations during which a large number of tourists visit the city. 
Hindu mythology says that Mysore was ruled by Mahishasura a demon who was later on killed by Goddess Chamundeshwari. Till the 15th century, the area where Mysore stands today, was known as Puragere. The fort was constructed in the year 1524 by Chamaraja Wodeyar III. 
Mysore city is the cultural capital of Karnataka. Dussehra is the most important festival of the city and this festival is celebrated for a period of 10 days. Started by King Raja Wodeyar I in the year 1610, the ninth day of the celebration is known as Mahanavami and the imperial sword is worshiped on this day. Processions constituting ornamented elephants, camels and horses are taken out. 
The style of painting prevalent is an outgrowth of the Vijayanagar school of painting. The typical characteristic of these paintings is the plaster of Paris work in which gold hydrofoils are pasted. 
Mysore is also known as City of Palaces. There are a large number of palaces around the city to be visited. The most famous attraction of Mysore is the Mysore Palace, which is best visited during the evening, when the whole palace is lit up with sparkling lights. The famous Jayalakshmi Vilas Mansion is now being converted into a museum and is dedicated to folk culture.
Mysore Palace
One of the most magnificent buildings located in the heart of the city is the Mysore Palace. Spacious halls called Mantaps can be seen in the Palace. Paintings and architectural beauty d├ęcor the hall. The palace is a fantabulous assemblage of Indo-Saracen architecture. 
The palace gives a clean evidence that a royal structure existed during the period of Yaduraya and Krishnaraya when they came to Mysore in 1399 AD. 
The palace is open to visitors every day from 10 am to 5.30 pm. A charge of Rs 15 is made per head. The palace is illuminated from 7 pm to 8 pm on Sundays including public holidays and also during all the ten days of the Dussehra celebrations.
Brindavan Gardens
Brindavan Gardens is one of the most beautiful gardens in Mysore and a center of tourist attraction. This garden was constructed during the period of Krishnaraja Wodeyar. It is built across the Cauvery river and below the Krishnarajasagar dam. 
The garden is decorated with huge lawns and various kaleidoscopical courses of flowers. The main attractive feature of the garden is the ‘dancing fountain’. 
The garden can be visited at any time from 7 am to 8 pm on all days. The lighting of the garden during Dussehra is done every day and on other days from 7 pm to 8.45 pm.
Chamundeswari Temple
The Chamundeswari Temple is situated on a hill in the neighborhood of Mysore. Krishnaraja III during the latter part of the 18th century built this temple tower. He gifted the Nakshatramalika jewel which has Sanskrit poesies engraved on it. 
The temple is adorned with various epitomes of Nandi. The colossal Nandi is 15 feet wide and 24 feet long and was made during the reign of Dodda Devaraja. It also has a seven floor ‘gopuram’. The idol of the Goddess is made of gold and the entrance with shinning silver. The dumbfounding construction appeals to the visitors’ aesthetic senses.

St Philomena's Church
This church was built to honor St Philomena and thus it got its name. The Maharaja of Mysore laid the foundation 
stone for the church in the year 1933. The followed the Neo Gothic style of architecture. The Cologne
 Cathedral was the inspiration of the Church.
The church was planned by Daly a Frenchman. The congregation hall is called the nave. The two steeples of 
the church are 53 meters in height. The main hall can hold a capacity of 800 people. The windows depict the
 birth of Christ and the important events in his life.
The cathedral is open from 5 am to 6 pm and no entrance fee is charged.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
The Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is located about 5 km away from Srirangapatna. Spread over 57 acres,
the sanctuary is a small island on the banks of river Kaveri. A bird lovers paradise, this sanctuary is a nesting
 and breeding center for all kinds of birds. 

One can see species like the herons, egrets, white ibis, little cormorants, dantes, open billed stork
 etc. are some of the birds that can be seen in island while on a boat ride. 

The best time of visit to the island is from June to October
.Srirangapatnam Fort
Srirangapatna fort, also called as Tipu’s palace is one of the most popular monuments in India.
 The architecture of the palace is a mix of Indo-Islamic style and the huge Persian inscription on the
 entrance gate embodies the date on which the fort was constructed, i.e 1537. This fort has ‘Lal Mahal’
 which was the then residence of the most audacious king of Mysore, Tipu Sultan. 
The fort was built in a double wall defense system and has four entrances, namely – Delhi, Bangalore,
 Mysore & Water and Elephant gates. The two dungeons located at the lower chambers of the fort are
 a must visit. These dungeons were used to detain the British soldiers who were arrested. Srirangapatna 
Fort also houses a mosque and the Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, dedicated to Lord Krishna, that is famous
 for its gopuram and thick fort-like walls. 
Various paintings like ‘The storming of Seringapattam’ by Sir Robert Ker can be found on the walls. 
The paintings depicting the glorious victory of Tipu Sultan over British, also adorn the walls. Do not miss
 to see the Chaturvimsati pillars that
 bore carvings of 24 forms of Vishnu, at the inner entrance of the fort. The tomb of Tipu Sultan can be 
found in the vicinity of the fort. 
The fort is scenically located on an island formed by the river Cauvery. On your visit to Mysore, 
one must definitely visit this fort which is an emblem of history and culture that lived and flourished
 during the glorious times of Tipu Sultan.
Gumbaz
Gumbaz is the burial chamber of Tipu Sultan, his father Haider Ali and mother Fatima Begum. 
It is built on a lifted platform and is circumvented by various other tombs of his relatives and nobles. 
The Gumbaz has magnificent ebony doors decorated with ivory which was presented by Lord Dalhousie.
 The interior walls are covered with lacquer Tiger stripes which is Tipu's favourite. A corridor lined by pillar
s of black amphibole walls Gumbaz. 
Masjid-e-aksa a mosque is situated next to the Gumbaz. The Gumbaz is surrounded by a beautiful gardens 
adds to its beauty.


MADIKERI
     Madikeri is the headquarters for the district of Coorg and where you will find many interesting tourist attractions. Some of the more notorious attractions are the former Palace, the Raja Seat, the Omkareshwara Temple, the Fort and the Gaddige or Rajas' tombs.
The town can be found 1525 meters above sea level on the plateau of the Western Ghats. A prince from the Haleri dynasty, Muddu Raja founded Madikeri in 1681 under the original name Muddu Rajakeri, which became Madikeri. Madikeri is officially know as Mercara




CAUVERY NISARAGDHAMA
   Nisargadhama is a beautiful island off the state highway, two km from Kushalanagar town and 28 km from Madikeri. The 64-acre island, surrounded by the Cauvery river, can be accessed by walking across a hanging bridge. Its breathtaking beautiful surrounding are lush with thick foliage of bamboo groves, sandalwood and teak trees. It has lovely river-side cottages which can accommodate five persons. Elephant rides and boating are some of the other attractions. There is a deer park, children's park and orchidarium in the resort.

RAJA'S SEAT
     Raja's Seat in the town of Madikeri is where the kings would sit and watch the sunsets with their consorts. This is considered one of South India's most scenic locations. The view from Raja's Seat is breathtaking as you gaze upon the green valleys and towering hills. This is the perfect place to sit with a glass of wine and watch cars curving up the road to Mangalore that lies in the valley like a flowing ribbon. The government has set up a garden all around Raja's Seat. This is the ideal place to go for a morning stroll.
OMKARESHWARA TEMPLE
Omkareshwara Temple
Omkareshwara Temple
The Omkareshwara Temple was established in 1820 by Lingarajendra II with Mumammadan style architecture, which featured a center dome and four corners with turrets. According to legend, the king put a pious Brahmin to death unjustly and built the temple to appease the Brahmin's spirit. The Omkareshwara Temple is like a Muslim dargah and has a Linga near the door of the entrance. The history of the temple was inscribed by the king on a plate made of copper that is hanging at the frame of the door to the temple entrance.
MADIKERI FORT
Mercara Fort
Mercara Fort
Mercara Fort can be found on elevated ground atop Madikeri. The fort was originally made out of mud and rebuilt by Tipu Sultan with stone, only to be wrested back by the Coorg King in 1791.There are two mortar elephants, built life-size to catch the visitors' eyes as they enter the fort. Inside the fort, the British took out the temple of Virabhadra in 1855 and replaced it with the gothic-style Anglican Church, which has since been converted to a museum.

The Madikeri Palace is inside of the Madikeri Fort and is home to the office of the Deputy Commissioner. The Palace was established by Lingarajendra Wodeyar II in 1814. The two-story structure was renovated by the British two times and a clock tower and portico for the commissioner's car was added in 1933.
ABBI FALLS
abbi water falls
Abbi Falls
Coorg's most popular waterfall is a 8 km drive from the main town.
GADDIGE
Gaddige, also know as Rajas' tombs or the tombs of Virarjendra is a significant monument in Coorg. The royal tombs provide a commanding view of the entire town. In 1820, the tomb of Lingarajendra was built. In addition, there are tombs for two army commanders and a priest. There is a plaque to commemorate General Biddanda Bopu. The tombs are Muhammadan style with center domes and turrets. Even the bars of the windows are made of fine brass and adorned with beautiful engravings.
TALACAUVERY
talakaveri at bhagamandala
Talacauvery
Every year, at a predetermined time, water gushes out from a small pond at Talacauvery, the birthplace of river Cauvery. Talacauvery is located 44 km from Madikeri, on the slopes of Brahmagiri Hill. Besides being a pilgrimage center, Talacauvery is known for its natural beauty.
BYLEKUPPE
Tibetan cultural dances in coorg,  india
Tibetan cultural dances being peformed at the monastery premises in Bylekuppe
Bylekuppe near Kushalanagar is one of the largest Tibetan settlements in south India. It has several monasteries and the prominent among these are the Great Gompa of Sera Je and Sera Mey and the Namdroling monastery. The Mahayana Buddhist University is at Sera. Another important monastery is the Tashi Lhumpo monastery, the seat of the Panchen Lama. The gold-coated Buddhist statues in the monastery are imposing and unique, reflecting the rich cultural heritage of the Tibetans.
VALNUR FISHING CAMP
Valnur fishing camp is located near Kushalanagar on the banks of the Cauvery. Fishing enthusiasts can indulge in angling for the majestic Mahseer after obtaining fishing permits from the Coorg Wildlife Society. Valnur is also a bird-watchers' paradise.
DUBARE RESERVE FOREST & DUBARE ELEPHANT CAMP
dubare elephant camp
This is another scenic spot located 15 km from Kushalanagar famous for its elephant training camp. It is also an ideal place for angling in the swirling waters of the Cauvery.
Every year, at a predetermined time, water gushes out from a small pond at Talacauvery, the birthplace of river Cauvery. Talacauvery is located 44 km from Madikeri, on the slopes of Brahmagiri Hill. Besides being a pilgrimage center, Talacauvery is known for its natural beauty.
HARANGI DAM
The Harangi dam near Kushalanagar has a beautiful reservoir, ideal for a week-end stay.

No matter if you are a nature lover or a history buff, you will find something to suit your fancy in the district of Coorg